hist-brewing: apricot recipies

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Tue Nov 30 00:50:01 PST 1999

Well I currently have 4 gallons (UK gallons, all gallons are UK gallons) of
Apricot wine nicely maturing. My recipe is

	20 lbs Apricots
	20 lbs Sugar (or you could use honey - you'd need a bit more, 25 -
30 lbs)

Destone apricots (fun!).
Mash up somehow (I did it by hand squashing them, even more fun, but very
messy).
Dissolve sugar in as little boiling water as will do the job.
Allow to cool. This is important as any hot water on the apricot will
extract pectin and mean your wine will be very hard to clear!
Put apricots in 5 gal fermenter.
Add COOLED sugar solution.
Top up to 5 gal mark (the apricots take up about a gal volume).
Add prepared yeast starter.
Leave to ferment initally for about 7 -10 days.
Strain into another container.
Leave for about 2 months to comlete fermentation.
If you are lucky enough to have a glass/ceramic vessel large enough, rack
into it, else rack into gallon demi johns.
Takes about 9 months-1 year to be ready for bottling.
Leave 3 months or so after bottling before drinking.

Kirsty