hist-brewing: Re: pumpkin mead

-Tevildo. tevildo at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 29 08:27:04 PST 1999

I recently made a wine of sorts in a pumpkin, although by now I suppose you
could call it pumpkin rum. Basically I cut off the top, scooped out the
seeds, and started throwing stuff in. Nutmeg, cloves, bark cinnamon,
ginger... I kinda went nuts on the spices, since I'm so used to making
pumpkin pie (if anyone wants a terrific recipe, email me) then I filled it
up with as much brown cinnamon as would fit, and doused the whole mess with
strong tea. When I pitched the yeast it took off like a rocket. A bit of
mold started on the outside after a couple days, but I cleaned the skin once
and it never happened again. The whole thing had saturated with alcohol by
that point, so I had no further infection problems. There were two
difficulties I encountered: the pumpkin overflowed (okay because I had it in
an enameled pot covered with plastic wrap), and the top got too mooshy and
wouldn't stay on. I pictured the whole gourd eventually imploding and making
a big mess, so three weeks after starting it I sliced up the pumpkin and
dumped it all in a fermenter with some more brown sugar. It's now going
crazy again, stronger than anything I've ever seen. I plan to strain it all
tonight, and keep adding sugar until the yeast dies. Plain baking yeast, by
the way. Red Star, I think. It's already very potent, but it will need to
age for a long while. As far as mead goes, the spices are up to you, but
don't expect a really explosive fermentation like I had (as the honey really
slows it down--there's some chemical in it that interferes with the yeast).
Don't expect your pumpkin to hold together for two months either. You will
definitely want it to be a sweet mead, so add more honey than you think
you'll need and be ready to add more later. Also, use tea. I don't know the
exact mechanics of it, but the tea really helps out. Have fun and good luck.
              -Tevildo.