hist-brewing: hello

Stephen Bernard flatlander at gis.net
Sun Nov 28 19:44:20 PST 1999

REB4EVER57 at aol.com wrote:

> I am looking for a good basic way of making mead..any ideas out there?

mix water and honey,  ad yeast if you don't trust your local microflora.

that's it basicly.  if ya want more specifics

2-3.25 lbs of honey per gal of water,
form here we get to widly varied trhings to do,

some would have wou boil the mixture (but this drives off volitle aromatics)
some say you shouldnt heat it at all (but this makes it a bitch to disolve all
the honey in cold water, and leaves any waterborne contamints unharmed)

what i would do is boil the water to kill any thing living in the water and
drive off the  Cl2 that might be disolved in the water.  let it cool to about
180oF  and mix in the honey,  (honey should be free of mead spoilers becaus it
will desicate any living thing except the simplest of viri,  plus bee barf has
some antiseptic qulitys)  and it will desolve nicely at that temp.

yeast,  well poopy,  you sait basic, but i could write a 9 page disertation on
this,  the some of wich is "Add some yeast"   not that it dosent matter what
kind the flavor profile vary greatly depending on what kindof yeast y ou use,
but no matter what kind you use you'll still get mead,  (i've had some very nice
meads made with Flachmens bred yeast, just don't tell anyone that's what you
used or else they be a ble to taste a breddy flavor)

for a sweeter meaduse an ale yeast and about 12 lbs. hony/5gla  product  or a
champaign yeast and 16-18lbs honey/ 5 gal product or wyeast Sweet mead yeast and
14-16lbs honey/5gal

for a drier mead use 11-13lbs honey/5gal and a montrechy yeast,  or champaign
yeast and 13-15lbs honey,  or wyeast dey mead and 14-16lbs honey/5gal.

acid some people like to ad some kind of acid  either acid blend or half an
orange or some tea,  what the heck cannot hurt .

fermention:  after about a month siphon it off the yeast,  do that again after
another three mionths and agaon every there months if it needs it ( i've found
that good mead (without any other flavoring) takes at least 6 months for
relitivly dry and at least a year for sweet (anyone who tells you shorter wants
you to have a worse hangover than nessary and probily drinks robitussen by the
pint)

Rev. Steve (gorm)

P.S.  if your compleatly ney to brewing, i forgot to mention a fermention lock,
(that clever device waht lets gass out but not in,  you can find several styles
in your local home brew store, if you are in some wiered muslim country where
hombrewing is illegal,  use a rubber band to strap a surgical glove to the top
of your fermentation vessel, and let the gass out when ever it's waving at you.