hist-brewing: more newbie questions :-)

therese k griffin tkgriffin at juno.com
Mon Oct 25 09:34:43 PDT 1999

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:38:47 -0500 "Lakey, Jeremy"
<jeremy.lakey at wilcom.com> writes:
> hehe tell me to shut up if I get too annoying here..
>
> 1)  Irish Moss.  I like the idea of having something in there to
> help my
> mead clear out, but since I don't see everyone using it, is there a
> downside
> to using irish moss?

I, personally, do not use any clearing agents.  They all can leave a
flavor (it may be faint, but there is a taste).  For me, the best
clearing agent is time and patience (and sometimes the refrigerator - the
chilling will sometimes help things drop to the bottom of the bottle)

> 2)  Grolsch-style bottles.   Will these bottles take the pressure of
> sparkling mead?

As these bolltes are made to hold the pressure of beer, they will hold
the pressure of a sparkling mead.  IF a bottle does break, it may have
had a weak spot in it to begin with.

> 3)  Sparkling vs Still Mead.  Is sparkling mead any better than
> still, or is
> this just a personal preference type issue.   I don't care for
> champagne
> over wine, but I do like my beer carbonated.   I guess the question
> here is,
> is mead to be thought of as more a wine type beverage or a beer type
> beverage?

Mead is more of a wine type. Sparkling vs Still is a personal preference.

Therese
(who lurks more than talks)