hist-brewing: RE: more newbie questions :-)

Eric A. Rhude ateno at panix.com
Mon Oct 25 07:22:43 PDT 1999

> hehe tell me to shut up if I get too annoying here..
>
> 1)  Irish Moss.  I like the idea of having something in there
> to help my
> mead clear out, but since I don't see everyone using it, is
> there a downside
> to using irish moss?

Never used it in mead, but then again I have never had mead-clearing
problems (so far!). I use it in beer and it seems to do 'what it says on the
tin' except you should maybe use a bit more than suggested, particularly for
small quantities (apparently you can't scale linearly from commercial
brewery quantities).

I have never used Irish moss in mead either, I jsut let it sit
till its clear (if I want a clear mead).

> 2)  Grolsch-style bottles.   Will these bottles take the pressure of a
> sparkling mead?

OOh, I'd like to know if you can use these - I have boxes and boxes of them
from somewhere...

YES, I have exclusively used grolsh bottle for almost
10 year, and all I do is change the rubber O rings on occasion.
The only thing I have had trouble with is brewing soda,
to much prussure for the rubber.   (big mess).

I get them from beer distributors for a nickel each.

<Snip about sparkling mead>

Eric Rhude
ateno at panix.com