hist-brewing: RE:Distillation

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Fri Oct 22 09:24:35 PDT 1999

> In a message dated 10/22/1999 12:08:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com writes:
>
> << Any (other?? sorry Owen, don't know your background, so
> apologies if you
> are
>  one) biochemists care to comment??
>
>  Of course your alcohol can go off _after_ you crack it open... >>
>
> not a boichemist; a professional brewer. and your beer can go
> sour, turn to
> vinager, or a number of other things, but as long as it
> contains alcohol, the
> micro-organisms that will grow won't make you sick. you may
> not want to drink
> it, though, it'll probably taste vile.

and if enough alcohol turns to vinegar, then the acidity will protect it.

Neat stuff, alcohol. If it didn't exist we'd have to invent it.

just thought: what about cholera - I heard of that being spread by the
'beer' that tramps in russia were making out of leaving bread to ferment in
water - but that could well be because it's too weak???