hist-brewing: pathogenic beer

isenhour at uiuc.edu isenhour at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 22 09:13:12 PDT 1999

 For the record, no know pathogens can survive in beer or wine.

This has been true for maybe the last 30 thousand years, however there
are two strains of pathogens that emerged and were characterised about
10 or 15 years ago.  I cannot remember the strains right now, but I
think at least one of them was obnoxious enough so you wouldnt drink
the beer.  If I remember correctly one produced vomitotoxin, which sounds
really yummy.  I picked this up from one of the Miller microbiologists
about two years ago.  It is not common, but has shown up in commercial
brewing, which is why it got characterized.

Rats!

john

217-328-0295                       Master Brewers Association of America
isenhour at uiuc.edu                   American Society of Brewing Chemists
University of Illinois/Urbana           Beer Judge Certification Program
Fermentation Science Instructor            Institute for Brewing Studies