hist-brewing: RE:Distillation

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Fri Oct 22 08:25:04 PDT 1999

> >>For what it is worth, it is also possible to make
> >>homemade wine that has enough microbial >>contamination, or
> other impurities, that it will injure or kill >>the drinker.
>
> For the record, no know pathogens can survive in beer or
> wine.  They may leave behind, prior to death by alcohol
> concentration or pH level, toxins that are harmful, but they do die.

You might get very sick, but you probably won't die. Alcohol actually kills
most of the food poisoning-type bugs, I seem to recall from an article read
long ago. (they did experiments. In lab, though, not in real people).
Apparently 10-yr old red wine is the absolute best at it, but anything will
work.