hist-brewing: Gruit ingredients

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Oct 20 07:45:54 PDT 1999

<snip>  I know that anise and licorice are either
>related or the same plant by different names, so I have stopped drinking
>Anisette, Sambuca and Ouzo for this reason.
<snip>

Hello.  No, they're not the same plant, although they do share the same
flavoring compound:

Anise - Pimpinella anisum, Umbelliferae (Carrot Family)
Licorice - Glycyrrhiza glabra, Leguminosae (Bean Family)

"...[licorice extract] has two important components: the essential oil
anethole, which licorice shares with anise and fennel and which contributes
the flavor characteristic of these three spices, and glycerrhetic acid,
which is sweet." (McGee, On Food and Cooking, p. 210.)

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow
cindy at thousandeggs.com
Recipes"