hist-brewing: Gruited or spiced ales

Huardb at aol.com Huardb at aol.com
Mon Oct 18 13:46:44 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/18/99 8:43:35 AM Central Daylight Time, Huardb at aol.com
writes:
This recipe is from Scottish Witchcraft The History and Magick of the Picts
by Raymond Buckland

Unfortunatly I don't have a source for Heather, but here is the recipe
anyway...

When the heather is in full bloom, gather heather bells abd wash them
throughly in cold water.  Fill a pot with the heather bells and cover them
with water.  Boil for an hour then strain the liquid into a clean wooden tub.
 For every dozen pints, add half an ounce of hops, an ounce of ground ginger,
and a pound of honey.  boil again for another twenty minutes and then strain
off once more.  When almost cold, add five tablespoonsful of barm (brewer's
yeast).  Cover with a cloth and allow to work undisturbed for at least 24
hours.  Skim carefully, and pour gently into a tub, leaving all the barmy
sediment behind. Put into bottles and cork tightly.  ( I think that this
would call for champagne wires since it seems that the brew would finish
ferementing)  Store in a dark place for at least a week.

Enjoy!  If anyone does find a source for heather please let me know.

Huard
<< hist-brewing at pbm.com >>