hist-brewing: Gruited or spiced ales

GeneDwiggins (famous digital photographer) gene at dwiggins.com
Wed Oct 13 21:53:11 PDT 1999

I am an experienced brewer of hopped beers. I am looking for a recipe
for gruited ale, along with the difference in technique of brewing. I am
used to the 1 hour boil required for hop utilization. It sounds like the
use of herbs is quite different. I imagine one would boil the wort for
at least 10 minutes for sanitation, but from there I am vague about how
and when the herbs are added. i am also curious if simple powdered
kitchen spices can be used effectively, or is it best to use "bushes"

Geoffrey deWygan