hist-brewing: Re:Berry cordial

Thorunn Vigadottir thorunn_sca at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 19:24:24 PDT 1999

Heilsa!  I can not point you to the page, but i can
share my own experience.

I made a cordial using fresh, washed, then crushed
berries and white brandy.  I mixed cherries and a few
rasberries, with a plum thrown in for good measure.  I
let the fruit sit in the brandy for 4 weeks, air
tight, stired every two or three days.  My timetable
for coridals is that when I can't smell just brandy
anymore, I let it sit two more weeks.

Then i made a simple suryp using brown sugar, raw
sugar and water.  Once cooled, i added to brandied
fruit.  Strain off the fruit and use in a cake (really
good) and bottle the liquid.  I added a few whole
berries to the clear bottles I used to give it some
interest.

Both the cake (served with whipped cream) and the
cordial (gone in an hour around a fire pit) were very
well recieved.

Good Luck!  Let me know how yours turns out!
Thorunn