hist-brewing: Compounding and brewing with a mixed culture

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Sat Oct 9 21:49:12 PDT 1999

OK, here's a subject I haven't seen in the digests I've browsed:

I was drinking a bottle of our local (Winnipeg) Agassiz Harvest Haze
Hefeweizen - not bad, a bit less funky than the Bavarian original but
actually more to my tase, particularly with a wedge of lemon.

And among the special weizen yeast aromas were a couple of whiffs of
something that reminded me of Real Ale like you can only get in the UK
(Wellington's from Guelph, ON, is close if you get it hand-pumped).  So I
thought, since all my attempts at a bitter or mild ale come out more like a
bottle or keg served imported British beer than like anything fresh.

So, since if you go back before the 19th century, beers were all made with
mixed cultures and a few, more traditional beers are still made with 2 to 5
strains, has anyone in this discussion group tried assembling a mixed
culture to get an "olde fashionede" flavour?

I plan on trying in a week or two, so any ideas will be given serious and
grateful consideration.

Sean