hist-brewing: Laws and punishment

isenhour at uiuc.edu isenhour at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 1 13:03:36 PDT 1999

 Anyone know of the punishments for serving bad or old ale?  Mostly
interested in the Middle Ages.  I don't have to have documentation on
this one right now, just a vague remembering will do.

Bennett's book, Ale Beer and Brewsters In England discusses various
punishments, but I think they refer to violations of the assize, and
involved cucking-stools.  The _secret life of beer_ has part of the
Code of Hammurabi (1500-2000 bc) translation that provides with
casting the brewster into water, for selling for money or short
measure.

cheers,
john
217-328-0295                       Master Brewers Association of America
isenhour at uiuc.edu                   American Society of Brewing Chemists
University of Illinois/Urbana           Beer Judge Certification Program
Fermentation Science Instructor            Institute for Brewing Studies