Boiling honey or not(Re: hist-brewing: mead)

Amy Tubbs sashamolotova at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 30 20:58:29 PDT 1999

FYI

I always use Montrechet yeast (I live in a rather warm climate), and I
simmer my honey.  It has a nice flavor and clears very easily. I have some
VERY clear bottles of mead in my fridge.

Boiling honey runs the risk of carmelizing it.
Just put it on low heat and let the tiny bubbles form on the bottom of the
pan with a little steam rising from the top.  This will be good enough for
pasturizing it if tended for approx. 1 hour. -- Amy