hist-brewing: mead

Eylat Poliner allotta at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 30 18:42:51 PDT 1999

let the mead sit until it clears itself.  one day it's cloudy, the next it's
crystal clear.
to tell if the mead has stopped fermenting, take a specific gravity reading over
a 1 week period.  if it has not dropped any, it has stopped fermenting.  i
usually wait 6 months before attempting bottling.
this reading needs a very accurate hydrometer.  look for a wine finishing
hydrometer (much more expensive, but it only reads from 0.995 to 1.020.