hist-brewing: casks, oak, pitch

isenhour at uiuc.edu isenhour at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 30 10:08:23 PDT 1999

I ran across an article (it may have been a turn of the century
_Modern Brewer_) recently that talked about grades of pitch, and how
it effected beer flavor (in a positive way).  The article went on to
say that the "right" grade of pitch would impart a desired character.
It went on to say that some German brewers added pitch to the kettle
to obtain this effect.

Here is a quote that I could locate, from..

_25 Years of Brewing_

A number of substitutes for pitch have been offered in the market, and
some of them, especially one made of the residuary substances obtained
in the process of refining petroleum, possess many qualities lacking
in pitch; but here the conservative spirit of the brewers prevails
against innovation, for none of the substances have that peculiar,
although exceeding faint, flavor for which the ordinary pitch is so
highly prized by both the brewer and the drinker.

I have also run across mentions that once the oak cask got infected it
was considered ruined, and it was called a "stinker".

Oak flavor out, pitch flavor in :)  I guess it depends on how far
back you are talking about.

cheers,
john

217-328-0295                       Master Brewers Association of America
isenhour at uiuc.edu                   American Society of Brewing Chemists
University of Illinois/Urbana           Beer Judge Certification Program
Fermentation Science Instructor            Institute for Brewing Studies