FW: hist-brewing: Real Ale -- OT, OOP

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Thu Sep 30 01:16:53 PDT 1999

Gary,

I have never seen a UK recipe with oak chips or extract. I thought that its
use arose from the misconception that oak barrels imparted oak flavour the
way they do for wine. Barrels for beer were (and are) treated to seal them
and so do not do so. I would have thought hops and alcohol preservative
enough...

Tannin is a definite suspect in hangovers - red wine's more prone to giving
them than white. Mainly it's just dehydration. I never get them though.

Thanks for the cherry beer recipe advice!

Kirsty