Boiling honey or not(Re: hist-brewing: mead)

Nick Sasso njs at mccalla.com
Wed Sep 29 10:38:33 PDT 1999

Scotti,

Good to see you here.  How's the Elizabethan going?  I'm going to have another go at it in October.

Knits are fun to pick :o)  The issue of steel is one I intentionally shied to a little inaccuracy.   I know of the steel in medieval cultures and the it was Bessemer steel processing that I was referencing.  It was that technology that actually made steel an affordable and ubiquitous alloy for making such things as cookware.  Until then, making a brewpot or canister for beer out of steel (much less stainless of today) would have cost enough for body parts of several relatives, would it not?

I also chose my words carefully about dried yeast cultures.  We have lovely 'clean' packets of yeast to innoculate beer.  The ones I've bought recently have been infected at the factories far too often of late, but cleaner than the 'broom yeast'.  It is the modern culturing that I meant to emphasize.  We end up with varietal yeast strains by and large rather than the more conglomerates that would likely have been used for brewing before Pastuer.

Your reference to the brooms is great, I am seeing some similar things in "Ale, Beer and Brewsters".  It's cultivated yeast, but not what I would consider a culture.  I'd love to make a beer with that stuff scraped off the broom, though. . . couldn't be any worse than some of my infected beers have been.

pacem et bonum (peace and all good,)

Nick Sasso

    Nick, I agree with your general point completely, but I have to pick nits
with two of your supporting factoids.