hist-brewing: Real Ale -- OT, OOP

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Wed Sep 29 08:21:10 PDT 1999

Gary,

Sounds good. Must try one next time it's cherry season. At what point do you
add the fruit?

As to the oak - there's no reason anybody should be using it so far as I
know. Beer barrels were always sealed with pitch or something and no oak
taste gets into the beer. I haven't got refs (I read the articles a while
ago), but someone else is bound to. Modern british beer certainly never
tastes of oak.

You could, though, probably use young oak leaves as a bittering agent, not
there's another idea that'll have to wait...

Kirsty