Boiling honey or not(Re: hist-brewing: mead)

Nick Sasso njs at mccalla.com
Wed Sep 29 06:19:07 PDT 1999

To Kirsty and any that may have been taken aback by my recent post.

I sincerely appologize for any sense of attack or derision from that post.  I am passionate about the housebrewing of beers and the quest to approximate historical beers of all sorts and from all times, and my passion sometimes comes across more abrupt than intended.

I have lots of ambition to brew medieval beers and meads, and have been extremely challenged to find extant recipes before around 1580 CE.  That being Elizabethan more than medieval, it doesn't get me there.  the research has to be focused on tangential sources like laws, storehouse inventories, household instructions and diaries, farm records, monastary documents and purchase records, etc.  It is fun and enriching, and lacks the direct provision of a recipe.  Let alone mead sources.

Please know that I appreciate and applaud you for your efforts and passion for historical beverages.  People like you keep the rest of us pumped up and moving.  Please don't let clumsy emails from me discourage or anger you in your craft.

Nick