hist-brewing: alcohol tolerance

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Thu Sep 23 11:46:02 PDT 1999

Dave writes:
>I have used bakers bread yeast in an orange melomel.  It fermented out
>remarkably fast and contrary to my expectation dropped bright very quickly.
> I left a fruity taste from the yeast, but not a yeasty taste,as I
>expected.  The biggest draw back is the lack of alcohol tolerance.

Which yeast exactly?  I mean... which brand?  I've tasted beer made
with bread yeast in which the yeast simply would not settle.  From
Dave's datapoint, we see that there is at least one that flocculates
well.  As for alcohol tolerance, it could be a minus or a plus, depending
on your perspective.  If you want to make a sweet mead, but don't want
it to be 12+% alcohol, a yeast with low alcohol tolerance is a good
choice.  Mind you... many used to believe that beer yeasts had significantly
lower alcohol tolerance than wine yeasts, but now with proper handling
(refrigeration, rehydration, starters, etc.) most beer yeasts are
perfectly happy with 10+% ABV.  Therefore, your bread yeast may have had
low alcohol tolerance simply because it was old or mistreated at the store
or rehydrated too cold (or not rehydrated at all!)... there are many
possible reasons (or it may just have low alcohol tolerance).

Al.

Al Korzonas, Lockport, IL
korz at brewinfo.org
http://www.brewinfo.org/brewinfo/