hist-brewing: mead

Lord Bigglesby tevildo at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 05:11:36 PDT 1999

> >Yes, but wine yeast will make much tastier mead, with much less yeasty
> >flavour.  Beer and wine yeasts are selected not only for good flavour
> >characteristics, but also because they flocculate (settle) reasonably
>well.
> >Baking yeast is selected for it's ability to quickly produce CO2.
> >It is very likely to have a permanently yeasty mead with baking yeast.
> >

>I have used bakers bread yeast in an orange melomel.  It fermented out
>remarkably fast and contrary to my expectation dropped bright very quickly.
>  I left a fruity taste from the yeast, but not a yeasty taste,as I
>expected.  The biggest draw back is the lack of alcohol tolerance.
>
>Dave M.

In my experience, I have found that everyone who is against the use of bread
yeast in wines or meads has never tried it. There is a whole pantheon of
myths surounding the use of bread yeast and almost all of them are based on
theoretical models, not actual experience. I myself use Fleischmann's bread
yeast for a number of things, and the only that disappointed me was Kumiss.
       -Tevildo.