hist-brewing: Spruce Beer

Stephen Wilson Stephen.Wilson at jcu.edu.au
Tue Sep 14 00:21:54 PDT 1999

Hi there,

I'm doing some research into spruce beer, specifically the use of spruce
essence.

My interest stems from HMS Pandora (1791), the ship sent to capture the
Bounty mutineers. It was provisioned with 380 pots of spruce essence.

I know that Captain Cook, and some of his proteges took an interest in
spruce beer on maritime voyages.

I believe that this interest arose from the time that Cook, Sir Joseph
Banks, and of course many others spent in Canada and Newfoundland during
the Seven Years War.

It was esteemed as an antiscorbutic by some, and generally thought to be
healthy, but I think it actually tasted quite good.

If anyone has any information on this, I'm very interested.

Cheers,

Steve Wilson
Townsville, Queensland, Australia.