hist-brewing: Medieval Use of Hops

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Sat Sep 4 03:33:57 PDT 1999

    Good Gentles, please forgive my recapitulation, but I've lost
big chunks of my backfiles.  I have a number of questions on
which I'm seeking specific citable documentation, and I'd appreciate
you help.

    (1) Hops apparently grow wild across much of northern Europe
including England.  Can anybody give a citation for that?

    (2) Hops were used as a mordant in dyeing cloth as early as
Roman times.  Can anybody give a citation for that?

    (3) The useful properties of hops for beer-making were not
generally recognized until the High Middle Ages.  The redoubtable
Hildegard von Bingen mentions their use in brewing in 12??

    (4) That use appears to have spread across continental Europe
in less than a century.  Hopped beers were being brewed in the Low
Countries, and imported into England, in 13??

    (5) The Gruit Guild correctly perceived hops as a threat to their
livelihood, and fought a rear-guard action which ultimately failed.
Henry VI (War of the Roses) outlawed the use of hops in beer in 14??

    Can anybody help me with literature citations?  Thanks.

    In joy and service,  Scotti