hist-brewing: Victorian Gentle folk & beer

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Fri Aug 13 03:33:38 PDT 1999

In a message dated 08/11/1999 9:59:54 AM EST, nerenner at umich.edu writes:

<< Don't forget brandy!  Winston Churchill drank Scotch whisky, but ...>>

    He also drank brandy.  I once met a Naval officer who, as a young
lieutenant, had been one of the social aides in the Eisenhower White
House.  When Churchill came to visit, my friend was assigned to stand
against the wall behind him at dinner with a fifth of cognac.
    When Churchill wanted his snifter reloaded, he would hold it up and
back over his shoulder.  My friend would step forward and pour him a
half-inch of cognac.  He reported that Churchill, who was in his eighties,
drank the entire bottle in the course of dinner, but was no more unsteady
at the end than he had been at the beginning.
    Scotti