hist-brewing: Victorian Gentle folk & beer

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Tue Aug 10 07:40:37 PDT 1999

>  I would have to assume, both from my reading and from the below,
that they did not drink beer, but only [Scotch] whisky, gin (military
and civil service), and various wines, including port and sherry.

OK

>    My middle class parents were born in 1904, and did not drink
beer, but only hard liquor, nor did their circle of friends, which
included all the kulturny people in town.  Beer was strictly a blue
collar enjoyment in those days just after WWII.
    This may have been partly an after-effect of their having
come of age during Prohibition.

Yes but prohibition didn't happen in England.

>   Are you writing a Victorian novel?

No I'm going to a Victorian re-enactment weekend in October, and the
costume let alone all the social stuff is taking forever :0)

Mel