hist-brewing: Victorian Gentle folk & beer

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Tue Aug 10 07:26:41 PDT 1999

>Class dictated what kind of beer a gentleman can drink.  Pale Ale or IPA
was
probable the preferred drink.

IPA ?

>Otherwise I suspect it was wine or liquors.

I suspect as much too.... but wondered if anyone had any data at all ?

> I believe that during the era in question a propper gentleman would
be drinking scotch or wine.

Certainly at the dinner table I'd agree, but I thinking of if he wanted a
longer drink.... also I read somewhere about the boom in breweries around
that time , I would imagine that this was in response at least in part to
factory workers A0 working up a thirst b) having cash to spend as opposed
to being paid in earlier times in other ways as well as simple cash.

> Beer was a peasant cass recreation.

Yes I'd agree but I'm not sure that a total none beer situation such as
that would exist . EG Gentleman Farmer out in field supervision, will want
something other than wine or scotch to quench his thirst ?

>And mead
was associated with pagn traditions a
nd was therefore taboo.

Completly ?