hist-brewing: Cyder Book

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Thu Jul 22 15:37:31 PDT 1999

>Didn't it used to be the way of proofing whisky?

Pass !

>Charlie's calvados doesn't actually taste that wonderful (don't tell him I

sadi that!) but it is highly flammable, so fun with crepes and matches! He
does do some Pommeau which is drinkable though.

Real calvados is very nice the older stuff is smoother, so your friends may
be too young perhaps ? The newer can be a bit raw

>Except to avoid it if you are ever over here. It's not the worst though,
that
has to go the 'White Headache'  type things 8%, 1.99 for 2 litres versions.

Still what can you say in a nation of (crap) lager drinkers.

I'm going to look at its ingredients to see if it is the same thing :)

>Ok, that's cider. To make an apple wine you'd have to add honey, grape
juice,
or other source of additional sugar of some description. And of course the
process differences - bottling or barrelling cider after a fortnight or so,
as
opposed to the months or years for wine.

OK now I'm slightly confused as this book certainly makes the distinction !

>Oh yeah, I've read that good cider was preferred (in the UK) to medium
quality
French wine in the 16-1700's

Just so, as this book claims

>I imagine what they did was something like press your apples, use the
juice to
make the good stuff, then pulp ferment the leavings, with the addition of
water to make the 'workers' version.

Well I'll let you know once I get further :)

Mel