hist-brewing: botulism OT

Thomas Thornhill tthornhill at terraworld.net
Wed Jul 14 19:42:33 PDT 1999

A FAQ from the CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/foodborn/botu.htm

Quote "Because the botulism toxin is destroyed by high temperatures, persons who eat home-canned foods should consider boiling the food for 10 minutes before eating it to ensure safety."

HOWEVER, I do concur " why take a chance "

AND you should let the store-owner/manufacturer know as well as there may have other cans or a production problem.

But I thought that as the HOPS deteriorate that they formed a gas which could explain the bulging. But I do not recall the source for that so it is merely an opinion.