hist-brewing: History of Malting as a Trade

Mills, Scott Scott.Mills at COMPAQ.com
Wed Jul 14 16:25:23 PDT 1999

I was wondering if any of you scholarly types out there have any information
on the history of malting as a trade or profession?

At what point did the profession of "Maltster" arise?

Also, at what point did the typical small village or house brewer stop
malting his own grain.  Or indeed was it ever typical for the small village
or house brewer to malt his own grain.

I realize that I have phrased the question in broad terms.  I am
particularly interested in the English history of the craft and when it
separated from that of the brewer.

Suggested bibliography greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Scott Mills
Engineering Problem Management
Industry Standard Server Division