hist-brewing: brewers and sanitation

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Mon Jul 12 16:03:35 PDT 1999

>In the grand scheme of things and in the context of Historical Brewing,
it is perfectly fine and dandy.

But this IS the Historical Brewing list :)

> However, storing yeast in a galvanised steel
bucket with no lid in the fridge next to the milk and taking a cup off
the shelf with which to scoop out the yeast is unsanitary in terms of
modern brewing technique.

You didn't mention it was next to the milk, you mearly said fridge or that
the cup was off the shelf !

>  The brewpubs around here (US) and *most* of
the ones I've been to in the UK practice far more modern yeast handling
tecniques... storing the yeast in sanitised containers with lids, etc.

Bucket here could equally be a sanitised one

Cross purposes I think !

>The bigger ones even have full labs with microscopes, plating out the
yeast, checking for mutations, doing bacterial counts with media like
HLP, etc.

Granted

>I've mentioned this before... if you are trying to imitate historical
beers, you had better include some lactic bacteria in there, because
I'll bet anything that all beers from 300+ years ago had a noticeable
lactic character.  Traditional Lambics (like Cantillon, Boon, Cuvee Rene)
probably taste like most beers did 300+ years ago.  They just didn't
know enough about sanitation and the role of bacteria

But are you saying this cross contamination is dangerous, toxic, or
anything ? or just undersirable to the modern palate ?

Mel