hist-brewing: Re: yeast nutrient and hot fermentation

Stephen and Stephanie Dale sdale at mx00.us.hsanet.net
Thu Jul 8 08:20:28 PDT 1999

Many of the older wine recipes i have use toast as a yeast nutrient. You
just spread your starter on a piece of toast and then pitch the rest of the
yeast. i also added 1/8 tsp of epsom (mineral) salts to my last four gallons
of wine i just made, mainly to give the yeast something to cling to so they
would settle out better. I thought it might help as a yeast nutrient also,
as I used distilled water to brew with.
My wines are fermenting happily on the back porch. With all the talk about
cooler fermentation temps, i'm now concerned since it has been so ungodly
hot here, and the porch receives minimal AC. I'm sure the temp reached 90 or
above out there this past weekend. I don't want to screw up the perry i made
(my first mead), so should I be worried? I heard that one should ferment
warm and age cool, but I'm sure that 90-100 degrees was NOT what they were
talking about. I have two toddlers, so I don't want to bring the wine in the
house unless you all think I really need to. Space is at a premium in my
house. Thanks in advance,

Stephanie Dale