hist-brewing: Historical Mead

Eric.Fouch at steelcase.com Eric.Fouch at steelcase.com
Thu Jul 8 05:36:00 PDT 1999

Boiling would be done for scum, bee (any unfortunate ones) and wax removal.
The wax will melt and float to the surface, making for easy removal.

Buhner's point and my contention was that in medivial times, they would find a
wild hive, dig it out, and plop the whole thing in a pot without much
attention paid to capping, and angry bees stuck all over everything, buzzing
and stinging their protest.

He also theorizes that early meads were a different animal, because they used
more of the hive (propolis, royal jely, etc.) and got more of the medicinal
benifits.

Eric Fouch, PDTL
"..but you never know, until you know."
                                                -Dr. Pivo