hist-brewing: MEAD

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Wed Jul 7 23:58:15 PDT 1999

>   I also believe mead had a lower alcohol content and was sweeter in the
1500,  Lack of specialized yeast.

Possibily and it was drank  as an everyday drink to so much recreationally
so you wouldn't want too high alcohol  content

>They used bread yeast and also wild yeast.

I'm not sure they would even make the distinction, you might use the left
over from wine/ beer etc for bread , actually it was probably more they
used the yeast from the wine/mead/beer to make bread, as yeast is bred &
can be passed on in that processs whereas in bread making the yeast is gone
once used, if you see what I mean ?

Mel