hist-brewing: Slow Ferment, what is fast, and nutrients

John Purdy John_Purdy at Jabil.com
Wed Jul 7 11:24:42 PDT 1999

Nathi Inquires :

		  Based on Al's posts I began wondering about the merits of
intentionally slowing the fermentation rate... I personally am planning an
experiment to test some of these ideas as soon as I get some empty 1 gallon
fermenters and a couple of gallons of honey... what else can people suggest
so I can add more variables to my experement?

Lagering, cold fermentation, was considered quit an innovation in beer
because it produces smoother beer at least in part through a slower
fermentation.  This should work for mead, no?  Seeing that the different
regions have different climes you could divide a batch into different 1gal
jugs and ferment at different temperatures, say 55F, 65F, and 75F to
simulate the different regions.

There are systems available now to do "room temperature lagering" in that
they are pressurized corny-keg based units, usually with a conical bottom,
used for fermenting.  These claim that they slow fermentation through some
laws of physics pertaining to heat exchange as well as the pressure factor.
I find myself wondering...In the old recipes we talk of so much, when they
read "put it in________ vessel and stop it close", just how close did they
"stop it?"  was there any chance that some pressure built up?  My thoughts
on experiencing with this run to using a regular corny-keg (because I have
them) but fitting it with the nipple piece from a pressure cooker.  This way
you could put the weight on at 5lb,10lb or 15lb and let it do its thing
without fear.

Just some ideas I've been tossing around for a while.
Mongo