hist-brewing: Historical Mead

Eric.Fouch at steelcase.com Eric.Fouch at steelcase.com
Wed Jul 7 10:41:00 PDT 1999

I've been thinking about  trying the following historically accurate mead
recipe (with one deviation):
Obtain a whole honeycomb from an apiary- about 20# or so.
Boil it in water for about 45 minutes, skimming the wax, scum and dead bees.
Cool, and
Pitch yeast (deviation, according to period)

After reading in Buhner's "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers", where he
describes the medicinal affects of many indigenous herbs and hive products
(propolis, royal jelly, honey, pollen and bee venom) I've been rather keen to
try boiling up a whole comb, angry bees and all.

Anybody with me on this?

Eric Fouch, PDTL
"..but you never know, until you know."
                                                -Dr. Pivo