hist-brewing: explosive

Jonathan L. Shapiro jls462 at psu.edu
Wed Jun 30 21:49:10 PDT 1999

>But a 2-3 days of fermentation will only produce about 1-2 % alcohol.
>That means that the beverage will only be about 1.5% avg + .5%vodka=2%
>leaving a residual sugar of about 17%.  This sounds like a time bomb.
>Theres no way that that little bit of vodka is going to stop the
>fermentation.   SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH THIS RECIPE !!!!
>DO NOT BOTTLE IT IN THIS CONDITION!

    Yes, I believe you're right.  The first time I made it I followed the
recipe exactly.  It indeed did evolve and continue to carbonate in the
fridge, luckily I had the drink in a plastic container which snapped closed.
Every time I opened it, it made a sound similar to opening a 2 liter of soda
for the first time.  The taste changed as it aged as well.  The last glass
that I had was much stronger than the first (comparatively).  Well, I know
better now thanks to you guys.  I'll not make a potentially explosive brew
again!

    Jon Shapiro