hist-brewing: Fwd: Early Medieval Brewing

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Fri Jul 2 06:58:06 PDT 1999

>Unfortunately, this reply does not answer my basic question: did the
Anglo-Saxons boil their mash, and what would the chemistry be if they did?

Have you looked at Ann Hagen's book on AS Food & Drink ?

a brief look suggests:

refs to  malt for ale, but no beor mealt - suggesting beer had no malt
whereas ale did ?

it is a cereal dervived drink , barley bere = beor

ale & beer are very different at this time. strengths, sweetness  etc

the fact beor byden was the responsibility of the reeve suggest production
raqther than importation.

so to ale.......

barley or wheat to malt or wort

grain seeped for 3 nights, drained 1 day, piled into heaps 3 days, grain
sprouts, spead thinly on malting floor, turned 2 or 3 times daily, for 2
weeks, from now grain is known as malt.

malt dried in kiln heated by straw fire, rubbed clean & winnowed, dried
grains ground, then ready for brewing

in the mealy-hus or bratinarium, laid on hair cloth

ground malt into mash tun, then water that has boiled and cooled slightly
or 3 parts boiled to 1 cold added mix stired.

stands 3 days, the wort drained, diastase convertys starch to sugar & so
on. Bush used to stir the yeast and yeast left to dry on bush for next use
(see sign of inns !)

Domesday st pauls gives 67 814 gallons (UK) of ale from 175 quarters each
barley & wheat & 708 oats.

Double brewing also known, as was addition of honey after additional
brewing, there is a beer here called waggledance similar to this...ummm
really good !

If this is the sort of thing you are after let me know & I'll type more
after I go & do some jobs !

Mel