hist-brewing: Bottles ?

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Fri Jul 2 06:34:22 PDT 1999

>I mostly use pin-lock Corny kegs.

Please explain ?

>I have no idea what was used in 6th century DalRiada, so I don't
worry about it.  If I ever reach the level where I get a comment from
a judge that, "This would have rated a Masterwork except for your
non-period Grolsch bottle." Then I'll start trying to find a different
bottle.  Or a different judge.

In the SCA I presume ? so you don't have to present it in a period vessel ?

But what about banquets and the like what do you do with the drink or do
you have grolsh bottles there, is that OK ? If you do go for period vessels
is it dictated by you persona ie suitable for a Viking, or just a medieval
ish vessel ? ie could said viking carry a 14th C Andalucian vessel
acceptably ?

>I have one 16-oz ceramic Grolsch-closure bottle that I use for
juried A&S competitions when I'm going to be there to retrieve it.

OK this sound pretty dumb, but are they very rare there then ?

Mel