hist-brewing: Fermentation question -Reply

NATHAN T MOORE NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Thu Jul 1 13:13:48 PDT 1999

One thing you will find in the world of mead making is that a lot of people
have ways of doing things that they consider right.  However mead is
simple to make and can be done in a lot of different ways.  Once you
develop a method of your own, you will probably stick with it, but until
then, do not be tricked into believing there is only one right method.  Trust
me on this one, from someone who made fun of the old man who made
wine in his trash can, and then made a knock out raspberry wine by
being open minded enough to try the method himself.

Very little to none of the method info I have read on this list is wrong, but
90% is opinion.  Anyway, a few of my opinions:

In a message dated 6/30/99 8:10:45 PM EST, jls462 at psu.edu writes:

>>At
two pounds of honey in one gallon, this is a Great Mead, which means
much
longer aging times.

Personally, at 2lb per gallon, using wine yeast I get what I would call a
medium-dry mead.  The rule of thumb I use is about 1.5 lb/gal = dry
2lb/gal=medium-dry, 3lb/gal=sweet, 4lb/gal=to sweet for me.  Until you
makes some mead using your own methods and yeasts, it is hard to say
what YOU will get and what you will consider dry or sweet.

>If you don't use the vodka to kill the yeast, this mead
will continue to ferment at a low level for a year

I have never had a mead ferment for longer than 4 months, even at
7lb/5gal or 18lb/5gal.  It is very important to use a large starter to assure
a quick and healthy ferment.

>, during which time it
should
be racked to a clean sanitized jug, and topped up with cool boiled water
every three months.

I personally do not do this (top off) because with my stronger meads I
find it restarts the fermentation process.  Also, have not found it
necessary.  Racking I have found helpful in clearing the mead and making
it smother

>I would add one teaspoon of acid mix to the boiled water when I
topped
it up after racking at three months.  At six months and again at nine
months,
taste the siphon after racking, and consider adding another teaspoon of
acid mix if it's still too sweet.

Try making some mead with and without acid blend and letting them age.
I find I prefer without after they have mellowed, but it is hard to tell when
they are still young.

Good luck, and don't worry to much, with a little knowledge it is hard to
make a bad mead, no matter who's method you use.

Nathi