hist-brewing: Re: [SCA-dist2] berry mead recipe

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 07:48:42 PDT 1999

In a message dated 6/30/99 8:14:18 PM EST, ceanntigern at yahoo.com writes:

<< ferment slowly, and need to be racked to another
 > clean carboy at two weeks,
 > then again at three, six, and nine months before
 > being bottled at one year.

 i have never had one work for longer than 6 months.
 most stop at 3 or 4 and are completely free of
 fermentables. how do you get them to work so slowly.
 Do you close up the carboy when done and let them sit
 longer? Have been considering that. the locks only
 work if CO2 is being made.

	Good question.  Actually the airlock will work even if CO2 is no
longer being manufactured.  I fill mine with sanitizing solution, some
use vodka.  I think the problem you reference has to do with lack of
CO2 to drive out the oxygen left in the top of the carboy.  This can
be taken care of by topping the carboy up with cool boiled water to
just below the stopper, after racking at six and nine months.  This
also gives you a chance to add a teaspoon of acid blend if you feel
the mead tastes too sweet at that point.
	Also, even though the mead is no longer working visibly, there
is still CO2 being generated.  Great meads which I inadvisedly bottled
in wine bottles after a year of aging in carboys with airlocks, still had
enough CO2 to blow cork and contents clear across my son's living
room, when stored on their side.
	Comments, anyone?
	Scotti