hist-brewing: pre-1700's wine recipe

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Wed Jun 30 23:42:40 PDT 1999

>I don't believe that technology took any such so called nose dive.  When
Rome fell, the infrastructure for transportation of information as well
as goods went away.

Many goods were still transported trade etc in Anglo Saxon times was pretty
good & every day it seems more complex than used to be thought. I think
more importantly the co-oprative structures which are necessary for a more
complex society lessened so each group became generally more independant.
Also art tend to take a back seat in pioneer societies, so the loss of
thrown pottery for instance is seen.

It is now though many of the people were the same just cultural revolution,
if we looked back to this last 20 years from 1000 years hence would we say
there was an invasion of the email folk ?

> What that meant is that progress in technology
developments slowed, stopped, halted, and became stagnant, or nearly
slow.

Only in certain technoligies, Roman villas or at least their sites were
inhabited, the villas themselves it seems were not to the taste of the AS
settlers ! The AS also cleared and re cleared far more land than the Romans
did .

>  The systems (or the ability to share information) provided anyone
was willing to do so were no longer in place.

There is the strong possibility AS for instance simply didn't like the
Roman methods of making wine/beer whatever, it simply wasn't to their
taste. Is it assumed that because in the US Bud is popular, that true and
far techologically advanced beers from England cannot be made because we
will not or cannot share the information (slightly simplified to try & get
the point across please note!) ? No En Masse (not you people on the list
necessarily) Americans seem to prefer such stuff, this could be equally
true as far as such differences in History are concerned.

> Thus there was a thousand
years or so where new developments were really really slow.  We can see
though that by researching anything in depth be it clothing, armor,
construction techniques, painting and drawing, even brewing and
winemaking that progress was made.

I really cannot agree that this is so, there were some big
inventions/dicoveries/developments that changed the world over the 1000
years since the collape of the Roman empire, things that have far more
influence on our lives today that much the Romans did. It didn't get
civilized around 1500 all of a sudden, take the Great Wheel, the loom,
development of towns and deforestation, farming developments such as
greater use of wheat over rye etc, most of these 13th C. In earlier times
lost to us later was the technique of pattern welded swords (Anglo Saxon),
other AS developments are seen in art forms such as brooches which
possibily show Romano British influence.

Change does not necessarity mean decline.

Our appility to type now may mean in the future no one can write........
hmm where does THAT leave us :)

Mel