hist-brewing: New to brewing, Fermentation question

Jonathan L. Shapiro jls462 at psu.edu
Tue Jun 29 16:25:47 PDT 1999

    Hello, I had a quick question about the fermentation period of mead.  I
had followed the recipe below a few months back as my first experiment in
brewing.  My question has to do with the part about adding the vodka or
grain alcohol to end the fermentation.  Rather than doing this, could I let
the fermentation continue until it stops naturally?  Does anyone have an
idea of about how long that would take as opposed to what is indicated in
the recipe?  Is there an easy way to be sure that fermentation has stopped?
(I have yet to obtain a hydrometer)  And lastly, I assume doing so would
affect the alcohol content of the mead, but will it drastically effect the
flavor?  One of the things I liked about this mead was the fact that it
tasted a bit like an apple pie, so it worked great as a desert drink, though
it did almost seem too sweet for some occasions.
    To be honest, this is the only mead I've ever tasted, so I've no idea
what to expect from other recipes or procedures.  Absolutely any help will
be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

            Jonathan Shapiro

Basic Small Mead