hist-brewing: RE: Spice question

Nick Sasso njs at mccalla.com
Tue Jun 29 10:20:50 PDT 1999

Take the time and expense to use true cinnamon or Cannel or Ceylon
cinnamon (all same thing).  Cassia is what you maost often find in
grocery stores and is thick barky thing.  Cinnamon should be thin and
fragile curls of bark.  It is far smoother and very different from its
harsher cousin in Kroger.

niccolo difrancesco

> Also, the recipe calls for whole cinnamon sticks, but all I have is
ground
> cinnamon.  About how much ground cinnamon equals a cinnamon stick?

Oh. Don't do that. Ground spices are almost impossible to clarify out.
Spend the little bit of
money
and get the sticks. Your mead will thank you for it.