hist-brewing: non-period fermenting vessel and yeast and recipe

Eylat Poliner allotta at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 28 22:49:23 PDT 1999

First:
Plactic water bottles are not a good idea.  It can allow gas transfer,
as well as get scratched easily.  Scratches will not get fully
clean/sanitized and WILL harbor spoilage bacteria.  Locate a supplier of
GLASS carboys.  Look in brewing magazines for mail order or contact your
nearest homebrew supply place.

Second:
There is no reason not to blend different strains of yeast.  Many
commercial yeasts are actual blends of 3-6 different cultured yeasts.
think German and Belgium yeasts.
Malt extract will not provide an adequate amount of nutrients for yeast
to grow.  I suggest adding a measure of yeast nutrient or yeast hjulls.

Third:
If you are still an extract brewer versus being an all grain brewer, I
suggest steeping speciality grains to get additional and better flavors
versus using canned extracts.

Mark