hist-brewing: Spice Question

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 28 07:07:21 PDT 1999

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999 OxladeMac at aol.com wrote:

> I've got a mead recipe that calls for the steeping of 6 bags of Earl Grey tea
> (probably for the tannins.)  I don't have any Earl Grey, but I do have some

Earl Grey tea has _Thea sinensis_ leaves and juniper.  Peppermint tea has
peppermint leaves.  The fact that the word "tea" appears in both implies
no botanical relationship at all.  Get some plain tea and some juniper
berries.

> Also, the recipe calls for whole cinnamon sticks, but all I have is ground
> cinnamon.  About how much ground cinnamon equals a cinnamon stick?

Unless you are confident in the flocculating power of your yeast, forego
the ground cinnamon.