hist-brewing: Spice Question

Daniel W. Butler-Ehle dwbutler at mtu.edu
Sun Jun 27 11:22:17 PDT 1999

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Melanie Wilson wrote:

> I would think so as peppermint has no tea as such in it so not the same
> tannin content, Earl Grey is a very delicate flavour

Earl Grey is strong black tea that has been treated with
bergamot oil.  Granted that it's no Lapsang Souchong, but I
could hardly describe the flavor "delicate".

> No necessarily but lacking in tannin if that is what is required

> >Also, the recipe calls for whole cinnamon sticks, but all I have is ground
>
> cinnamon.  About how much ground cinnamon equals a cinnamon stick?
>
> I use about 1 tsp for 1 stick & tie it in a fine muslin bag

That sounds about right.  Stick cinnamon may have a higher oil
content than ground cinnamon, but the greater extraction
efficiency of the ground more than makes up for it.

Dan Butler-Ehle