hist-brewing: Spice Question

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Sat Jun 26 14:22:40 PDT 1999

>I've got a mead recipe that calls for the steeping of 6 bags of Earl Grey
tea
(probably for the tannins.)  I don't have any Earl Grey, but I do have some

peppermint tea.  Would this substitution be bad?

I would think so as peppermint has no tea as such in it so not the same
tannin content, Earl Grey is a very delicate flavour

> Would the peppermint be too
overpowering?

No necessarily but lacking in tannin if that is what is required

>Also, the recipe calls for whole cinnamon sticks, but all I have is ground

cinnamon.  About how much ground cinnamon equals a cinnamon stick?

I use about 1 tsp for 1 stick & tie it in a fine muslin bag

Mel