hist-brewing: Orange Flower Water

Faulconess at aol.com Faulconess at aol.com
Mon Jun 14 19:38:08 PDT 1999

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 10:14 EDT you wrote:

<<Greetings Fellow Brewers and Vintners!
I hope someone can help me with a recipe that calls for "Orange Flower
Water".  Does anyone know how to make it, what it consists of, or where  it
may be commercially available?  Any help would be appreciated.>>

Morgan,

I would head right down to my local Middle Eastern/ International grocer's.
(If you live in a decent-sized urban area, there's probably one near you!)
Orange flower water, is kind of like Rose-water.  They are both commercially
sold, bottled substances, containing water with trace amounts of the
essential oil of these blossoms.   Or, if you prefer the old-fashioned way,
you can get a WHOLE bunch of petals, "wash" them with distilled water, and
save the resulting liquid.   (I prefer the bottled stuff;  it means less
flowers have to die, and no risk of pesticides!)

Both are non-toxic;  both smell heavenly; and both are usually found on the
shelf together.   They are used as flavorings in some exotic cooking dishes
(particularly in period), for finger-bowl-water ....and in some really
delicious cordials I have sampled.   I have a Rose-Almond recipe that'll blow
your mind.  ;)  Very, VERY exotic tasting.

Happy hunting!

^v^ Fionna ni Caisidhe of the Firebrand